Tuesday, September 29, 2009

September 29Th of 2009

September 29Th of 2009

This day will never happen again. Since I can't upload, edit photos right now until I get my computer up and running which will hopefully be the 1st, fingers crossed, I want to talk about pictures and why I love them so much.
A photo can show something that we can't see with our naked eye, it can catch a look or an angle or a look in someones eye that you may never see by looking at them. I feel like when I take pictures of people, I can see a part of them that no one else can see. When I capture that look that I want in a photo, it's like the best drug in the world. A huge reason why I adore photography to the point of infatuation is because it's freezing time, it's freezing a moment, a day, a smile and a feeling that you might otherwise have forgotten and now years in the future and you can look back at that picture and whether good or bad, you can remember a piece of who you used to be.

I think this is also the main reason why a lot of people don't like pictures and videos because they don't want to remember or don't feel confident in themselves.
It's amazing to me when I look back at pictures of me when I was young and had just shot up like a weed. I was way taller than my older sisters, my mom and was giving my dad a run for his money and still had my baby fat face, some chub around the waist and it's a surprise I even knew what the word posture meant. My mom would always tell me to fix my posture but at the time, all I wanted was to be invisible and being 5'8 in fourth grade made it nearly impossible.

For that few year span, in every picture literally I was slouched over, preferably leaning on something, baggy sweatshirt with an extra sweatshirt tied around my hips. I don't know who I thought I was fooling but if I ever spilt chocolate milk on myself and desperately needed a replacement sweatshirt in the middle of summer, I was set! Not to mention that every boy until high school was shorter than me and usually quite a bit smaller so that made those years full of being jealous of my normal sized friends and getting laughed at every time I would slip a note to little Petey. If only Tom and Katie had been around then, thanks for nothin. It wasn't until I graduated into dating older guys in High school that I kissed a guy without leaning down to do it.
Picture of me and my best friend Heidi at the County Fair which mind you is in July. Notice I've got a wicked lean going on and of course sporting a lovely sweatshirt around the waist. On top of my appearance, I decided to show farm animals...naturally. My lamb that year was pretty cute though, his name was Ramsay.
Although I hated every time someone took out a camera during those years, I'm really glad I have those pictures because every time I look at them they remind me to stop slouching, to stand up tall and proud and maybe wear an outfit that I've told myself I'm too out of shape to wear. This is the only day like this that will ever happen again and I want to enjoy it no matter what I look like right now, how I feel right now and no matter how much money is in my bank account. There will be better days and there will be worse but there will be no other September 29Th of 2009.
Abigail Frank~

No comments:

Post a Comment