Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Day for the Butterflies

I have two hours before a photo shoot and while I started composing my disheveled appearance, I started reminiscing on how sublime my last day was. Waking up in good spirits with a smile on your face contradictory of the miniscule amount of resting hours your body has been given is nothing short of a gift from a higher power. Although there are strides I need to make in the next month, I feel the more good energy I put forth in my pursuits, the more good energy comes back at me. Yesterday while enjoying a slight breeze with a paper and vanilla latte, I found myself befriending a stranger and spending a long while conversing and bantering about creativity, passion and art and leaving stimulated and wondering how other people expand there minds and experience all the world has to offer who don’t take chances. The day continued on somewhat the same congenial pathway as I went to the Agape Spiritual Center for the first time (unknowingly to the congregation because I didn’t get hand blessed by the crowd) maybe next time but than I’d be lying…crap. Anyways, there is always a fine line drawn in my head where spirituality and enlightening meet hokey cult status. I’m not bagging on anyone but clearly as anything that is so close to our souls and spirits, what might seem silly to me might be changing someone else’s life around. This place was a wonderful blend of religious attributes, connectivity with similar minds and an outlook on life that I not only share but daily push myself to remember. One of the things I walked out replaying in my head was a concept of freedom that was spoken about, when you think about what freedom is in actuality, it’s rather hard to wrap your head around.
I find myself at my age being almost a standstill in-between the beliefs of my mother and father which in a strange way seems fitting. My mother the ever sturdy southern Christian has one of the most admirable belief systems and unequivocal faiths I’ve ever witnessed and if I were to say I would change one thing about her or how she raised me on them I would be doing a disservice to the woman who will always live behind rose colored glasses. I could speak her praises for years but as I grew and saw her as the human with faults and problems like all of us, I realized she was lacking in a spiritual side that I had yearned for. She read to us bible verses and taught us that “all things were made through him” and I wanted to experience it all. If all things were a mirror of god in some way than I craved learning that way, I wanted to travel, meet new people, and try new things. My mom more content to stay away from the unknown and confide in her knowledge, my father on the other hand rebelled against traditional religion and attends a new age church which can’t mention any denomination or any god so they basically all chant together things like “thank you” and “ we are one”. Don’t get me wrong I’m thankful and I’ve been following the “we are one” belief since Disney popped off a little gem called The Lion King but spending a few hours chanting them not associating them with religion or our lives or our spirits seems lackluster to me and unfortunately goes in one ear and goes out the other. The thing I obviously did take from that new age experience was the spirituality of dropping your walls and digging deep past the voices that swim through your subconscious. This is getting long and hopefully made some type of sense but my point being that I’ve found myself consistently and happily progressing and being ensconced in life and perhaps not quite yet in the big picture but in who I want to be. If you exude the elements in life which you aspire, they will come back at you everywhere, you just have to keep your eyes open and mind free to embrace the impossible.
Cameraphone picture of the day- I saw this on a wall and I like it's message.

Song of the day: Hello Vegas- Spiderwebs

1 comment: