Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sometimes you feel like your headed for the Post Office

I have to say that I truly hate labels, I know that people can talk about this forever no matter if it's race, social standing, sexuality or monetary achievements but I think I shall as well for a moment. When I was younger I always was classified as a "Tom Boy", this label grouping together any girl that didn't write I heart Bobby McGee on there three ring binder and preferred climbing tree's and acting out movie scenes and literary adventures in her backyard over painting her nails and trying on there friends brassieres. Not that anyone really likes to be generalized but I hated being put in a box. As we get older and move away from small minds and small towns, we realize that the labels we tried so hard to unglue are no longer there and that new ones than get made. If there is anything that I look for the most in people and find most attractive is being open minded. When you allow yourself to disconnect your brain from what society has taught you to think about certain things, you than are able to learn what they really are and form your own opinions. Years ago there were things that I associated with being a bad thing, a scary thing, a naughty thing or what have you but as you walk through your life and run into these things and you have the option of sticking a label on it and running with the herd or of opening your mind to a new possibility. I've found myself many times being open to something and than realizing it wasn't for me, that the scary looking thing really was scary but than you at least are confident in who you are because your judgements and your thoughts were made on your own. I've always followed my heart and sometimes to my own demise but as I meet people who don't follow there hearts because they don't want to be classified for doing it, I feel thankful that I've never let that fear stop me from being myself and no matter how much packaging, labeling and boxing people do to you in your life, you are just you and when you smile with confidence at a stranger on the street, that's what they will see.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought that labels were the sole refuge of people with poor imagination. Many thanks for such a brilliant post.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete